Tuesday, April 19, 2011

According to some estimates, Americans are sitting on $30 billion worth of unredeemed gift cards.

I'm sitting on my bed. The warm purple sheets are decorated with leaves and linework, quite feminine but somehow not too girly. The walls are still white, which is the only thing about the bedroom that bothers me. One of the three windows is cracked open so my cat can peak his head out and look at birds. Good thing we have screens or he'd probably jump out after one, tumble down the tiles and fall into the yard, proceeded to meow a confused and angry meow asking, "Why did you let me do that!?" Much like the meow he was uttering last night when I found him finally in the ditch behind our house. Poor thing got out through a crack I left in the screen door out back and had what I can only guess was a horrific day running from lawn mowers and dogs. He's now sleeping on the chair by the window. My bedroom has a certain feeling I haven't achieved in a house of my own until now. It's cozy and breezy with lots of light. It's filled with furniture, sporting two dressers, a very tall bed and a chair. There are also two bookshelves and two dog crates. Somehow it doesn't feel cluttered at all. Strong, knotted tree branches fill the windows with the green of the golf course behind them. It's a nice place to think, to get away from the world. That's probably why I'm in here instead of doing all those things that may make me feel better. I do that, I dwell and think and plan but seem to do things in furious spurts of energy and vigor until I wear out and take too much time off.

Today I'm in my bedroom thinking about several things. There's a puppy sleeping in his crate, and I wonder if I should take advantage of his brief period of melancholy and go for a walk down to the housing office to get permission to paint the walls in my "playroom" as we call the art room/computer room, blue. I also need to take down all the lost cat signs around the  neighborhood since I found him. Today's tuesday. My schoolwork was due last night. I did about two classes worth of work, and half the work for the other two. Watching the dog is surprisingly difficult to do with homework, especially when I insist on leaving the house when my husband comes home because it's my only chance to get out. I'll be doing it again thursday, going hiking, FINALLY. But after that I don't think I'll leave for a while.

I'm also thinking of my house and the mess that has accumulated over the past week and a half. My husband cleaned the dishes and they're dirty again, along with the thin film of pet hair that has formed over the carpet due to our newest edition. I can officially say that three animals is enough. When Dubstep is grown it will be much easier, and probably very fun, but right now it's like having a baby in the house, who likes to eat everything in sight, pee on the carpet and leave hair everywhere.

Matt and Kim are talking about taking me home as I wonder if I should organize my computer files, the file cabinet, clean the house, work on my homework, go for a walk while dubs is sleeping, work on a banner project that needs to be finished in a week, or sit down and try to plan out a way to do everything.

This kind of clutter of the mind makes me way too serious and depressed. My head is so filled with responsibility I feel like there's no room for fun. It makes it really difficult to just enjoy what I'm doing if I'm thinking of the next 5 things I need to do afterwards. It's especially strange since all the things I have to do are not entirely unenjoyable.

I guess I'll go on that walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment